So I tried fixing it myself. Even though I don’t know Python, I do understand the general logic of how programming languages work, so I was able to read through her code and figure out roughly where the problem was, and (with a combination of Googling and guesswork) add in the extra few steps it needed to deal with the extra condition. And it worked!
I was incredibly proud of myself …for the few minutes that it kept working for, before it hit another problem and failed again. But after a bit of help from Chris (who’s our other resident Python expert) I managed to add in some diagnostics, and discovered that the problem wasn’t with my coding after all, it was a problem with the website.
So I’ve written (kind of… ok, *contributed to*) my first Python programme!
Between this and yesterday’s server wrangling, I’m feeling like a serious IT expert 😉